Whenever there has been some type of serious water emergency, the owners of the homes or businesses in which the flooding has occurred will have plenty of issues to deal with. Water extraction and the drying process to eliminate excess moisture problems are intensive procedures that will need to be handled by an experienced water damage restoration company such as our Arizona Restoration Specialist.
One concern that some homeowners and business owners may not account for is the development of visible mold. A mold problem can develop within 24 to 48 hours of water leaks or other emergency situations. Mold after water damage is a very common occurrence and should be dealt with as soon as possible to prevent even further damage to your personal belongings as well as the structural integrity of the building.
At Arizona Restoration Specialist, our mold remediation team has years of experience dealing with mold outbreaks, and we are well-versed in the ways in which mold spores will travel throughout a building in the HVAC system, air conditioner, and various other hard to reach areas. To prevent mold after water damage in your home or office, contact our professional cleaners and restoration experts.
How Does Mold Growth Develop?
When it comes to a mold problem, the primary issue is that mold can begin growing very quickly after a water leak or other water issue starts. Mold growth requires 3 specific environmental factors in order to take hold: a moisture problem, warmth, and darkness. A flooded basement with contaminated water and increased indoor humidity is the perfect setting for mold.
Unfortunately, you may not even know you have a mold issue until it has reached a serious point. Mold is able to infiltrate even the tiniest cracks and crevices, so it can remain unseen. Many homeowners and business owners only realize there is a mold issue when they begin to smell the unmistakable moldy odors prevalent in an infestation. By this point, a DIY mold cleaning may be impossible.
Why Is Mold So Detrimental to My Residential or Commercial Buildings?
There are two primary reasons why mold is so detrimental to your house or commercial property: structural integrity issues and physical health problems. When mold spores are permitted to attack your home and grow into a full-blown infestation, it will not stop spreading and infecting all of the surfaces it comes into contact with.
As the mold continues to grow, spread, and eat into the variety of porous materials throughout the building, it can cause severe degradation to your home or office. Mold damages just about everything, including flooring, ceiling tiles, insulation, the foundation, walls, and almost anything else it touches. With a serious mold infestation, you may end up having to gut the building to the studs and rebuild.
Mold can also cause a number of serious health problems for those with asthma, allergic reactions, upper respiratory issues, and compromised immune systems. When the indoor air of your home is not clean, allergies and asthma can become far worse. You could potentially also develop a skin rash, headaches, coughing and wheezing, nosebleeds, dizziness, memory loss, and fevers.
How to Prevent Mold Growth and Damage in Gilbert, AZ
Whether you are currently dealing with a serious water issue or you are just looking to prevent the potential onset of mold on a daily basis, there are some ways you can work to keep mold out of your home or office.
Here are some top tips for preventing mold as well as removing any minor mold outbreaks:
- Invest in a powerful dehumidifier if your basement is prone to excessive moisture levels
- Fix any roof leaks or plumbing problems before they get too severe
- Be sure an area that has had standing water in it is completely dry (open windows and doors for natural breezes)
- Replacing drywall and carpet padding that has become wet and will be unable to totally dry
- Never mix bleach and ammonia when cleaning mold since it can create toxic fumes
- Minor mold issues (areas of 10 square feet or less) can be taken care of by a homeowner or business owner with a mild detergent and water mixture
- For larger mold problems caused by floods, the issue can be resolved using 1 cup of bleach mixed with 1 gallon of water
- Do not turn on the air conditioner or use the HVAC system if you believe there may be mold spores in it
- During cleanup, be sure to wear the right gear for the job to limit mold exposure. It is important to wear gloves (natural rubber if you are using a strong cleaning solution or ordinary household rubber gloves if using detergent), goggles, and a respirator (they look like a paper dust mask with a nozzle) with removable cartridges (available at many hardware stores locally)
Following these tips, mold prevention should not be a problem in your home or you should be able to quickly resolve any issues that have already formed.
If, however, the infestation has gotten out of control to the point where chlorine bleach will not be enough, contact a mold remediation specialist such as ours at Arizona Restoration Specialist to provide you with professional assistance.
Contact Us to Learn about Mold Spores in Arizona
If you are a homeowner or business owner in Arizona who is dealing with a serious mold problem, you may be in need of professional mold removal and remediation experts at Arizona Restoration Specialist. Our team of certified and trained professionals is here to help you mitigate any water damage in your home and prevent mold from developing.
We understand how potentially hazardous mold can be to the building and to the health of those in the structure, and we work diligently to eliminate your mold issues. The best kind of mold is dead mold.
Contact us today to learn more about how to eliminate mold from any affected area of your home or office. We are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week for all of our residential and commercial property clients.