Arizona Restoration Specialists, a Mesa, AZ, damage restoration company, warns homeowners that mold growth can occur after fire damage.
Arizona Restoration Specialists has served Mesa, AZ, and the Phoenix Valley area for more than twenty years with premier fire, water, and mold damage restoration services. With crews on call around the clock, 365 days a year, they can respond on the scene of any water damage problem in Phoenix within an hour. Their stable of services includes all aspects of water damage and related issues such as mold removal and remediation, sewage cleanup, and repair/reconstruction. All work is completely guaranteed. Clients will experience the finest customer service in the restoration industry. When it comes to fire and water damage, fast action is crucial since the problem will only worsen over time and may lead to mold infestation.
According to the National Fire Protection Association, residential house fires accounted for more than one-fourth of all reported fires from 2014-2018. Fire departments responded to more than 353,000 fires each year during this period. The most common causes of residential fires include cooking, heating, electrical and lighting, arson, and smoking. Cooking fires are the most common cause of residential fires.
Most homeowners anticipate the possibility of a mold infestation in conjunction with water damage. However, many homeowners neglect to consider the high probability of mold damage after a house fire. This oversight could result in a serious mold infestation in the home.
How Mold Growth Can Occur After Fire Damage
In many instances, fire damage includes extensive water damage. When a house fire requires the services of the local fire department to extinguish the fire, hundreds or even thousands of gallons of water can be applied to the structure in a matter of minutes. The combination of fire and water can lead to mold infestation if the water is not immediately removed and the drying process implemented.
Why Mold Growth Accelerates After a House Fire
Fire-damaged homes are very susceptible to mold infestation. The fire department can pump thousands of gallons of water into a structure in minutes. Steam and fire extinguisher foam are also sources of moisture in a residential fire. After a house fire, conditions are perfect for mold growth, which can begin in as little as one or two days.
Industry experts explain: “Fires do create a secondary mold risk at a property. Extinguishing a fire, presuming it was extinguished with water, dumps a lot of water into and through the structure. That process, when the fire is in the upper part of the structure, in particular, sends a lot of water through lower ceilings and walls. Unless all of those areas are opened, gutted, dried, a future mold problem in those areas is a high risk.”
A One-Two Punch to Kill Mold: Dry and Disinfect the Affected Area
Drying a water-damaged area is insufficient to prevent mold growth in the future. Drying and dehumidifying the affected area will halt mold growth, but the drying process does not kill the existing mold. Mold can remain dormant in drywall, carpeting, and other porous materials for years.
The mold can reactivate and thrive when just a small amount of moisture or water is re-introduced to the spore-infested materials. A minor leak from an appliance, a leak between walls, or a recurring spill or leak on the carpet will reinvigorate the dormant mold. Once hydrated and activated, the mold may spread silently through the home undetected for months or years. Killing the mold during the fire and water damage restoration process is of utmost importance to prevent future mold outbreaks.
Fire and Water Restoration: Best if Left to the Pros!
Homeowners who attempt a DIY damage restoration project face two risks:
- Working too slowly to dry and disinfect the damaged area before mold begins to take hold
- Overlooking hidden or hard-to-reach areas with drying and disinfecting
Property damage restoration companies like Arizona Restoration Specialists are highly trained in safe mold cleanup techniques. The professionals have the industrial-strength, commercial-grade equipment to perform the water removal, drying, and dehumidifying extremely fast so the mold cannot begin its explosive growth. The expert cleaning technicians have access to the best and safest disinfectants that are friendly to the environment, furniture, humans, and pets. The restoration specialists have the skills and experience to know where to find hidden mold and moisture.
Arizona Restoration Specialists has served Mesa, AZ, and the Phoenix Valley area since 1999 with a menu of services including all facets of fire and water damage and related problems such as mold removal and remediation. With crews on call around the clock, 365 days a year, they can respond on scene to any water damage issue within an hour. Every aspect of their work is fully guaranteed. Customers experience the best service in the restoration industry.
When it comes to fire and water damage, act fast. Do not wait since the problem will only get worse over time. To learn more about mold removal in Mesa, AZ, call Arizona Restoration Specialists by phone at (602) 497-4673.